Monday, January 9, 2012

Ubuntu system wide PulseAudio EQ (Equalizer)

I have recently become much more excited about cleaning up my music library within Ubuntu (versus just using WinXP and iTunes) so I can eventually get rid of Windows once and for all. (iPhone user - iTunes dependent currently) The audio levels that came from the default sound card in my machine were just not adequate for how I wanted the sound system to sound from my 2.1 Logitech system.
Built in Sound Card specs per
sudo lspci -v

80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller) (rev 10)
Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 0888
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
Memory at feafc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] #1106
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Off I went in search of an EQ application or addon to PulseAudio sound server system that was both easy to install and "just worked". I had come across a very interesting search result which was to enable a Personal Package Archive (PPA). Some Ubuntu users question the use of PPA's as they "can" pose a security risk but that's not what this post is about. I enabled the PPA and sure enough, "it just worked" and now I am able to click a preset such that the audio levels of various Hz and KHz ranges are affected and my audio files can be played back more accurately for those high highs and those low lows.

Here's the original "Explore Ubuntu" blog post CLICK ME

Here's a BIG THANK YOU to "Explore Ubuntu" and all those that are hard at work supporting the Ubuntu Community with Blogs like his! "THANK YOU". Over the past 5 years the Ubuntu Community has proven to be second to none!


UBU

No comments: